Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Princess Diaries

Shopping with a teenager is about at the same level as getting waterboarded in a dark room full of CIA agents. But, as mothers, we must endure the anguish, the torture, and the bliss of making our daughters feel like Princesses. Who was the person to push us to this level of insanity? Who decided all daughters must be treated like Princesses? I am not sure, but later I must Google it.

Rarely does the father partake in these festivities. Why? He lives miles away. If I had one with me, I would make him go. So I have to be the mother and the father during these events for the Princess.

Her father helped with the dress because I asked and what do you know...he thought it was OK. NO, I don't have child support this month, but Bug gets her dress. I think he believes I make money on the meager amount and refused to participate in my hobby: raising his daughter. It makes sense in my mind. Where did I park my Mercedes?

Oh, yeah. At the mall. It was disguised as a 2005 Chevy Malibu.

The outing started out as me being excited to make my girl dressed in pizzazz (on a budget) for her Sweetheart Dance this weekend. I am all about class and glamour on a beer budget. Luckily in her size 0, it is easy. There are many selections left in the NO ONE IS THIS SIZE size.

She is very picky and tries on everything until she feels pretty. It takes a village. Of dresses. I encouraged her to try on things which maybe didn't appeal to her off the hanger, but would be beautiful on and she agreed. Some of them were wonderful and classy. She didn't pick out one slut dress or anything which I felt was too old for her. For this, I was proud.

We went to several stores. Some of them were drive-bys. A drive by is you look in the window and see if they have fancy dance your pants off dresses for teens and if the answer is "nope"...drive on by. Next store. She was discouraged and went on and on how she was ugly and fat and no one asked her to the dance. She does not do this because she wants my attention. She really feels like this. It kills me. She is the most beautiful child and she has a good heart. She does have teenager hormones which drive me to hell and back, but she is a good kid. Do other moms experience this self-esteem issue? I don't know. I just know I don't understand where it comes from.

At the last store, I told her if she didn't find the dress which was just right, we could look the next day in another part of town. She perked up a little bit at the thought the pressure was off and she had other options. We tried on about 5 more at the last shop with no luck. I told her we should make another round and see if we missed something. She agreed.

As she rounded a tall display of longer dresses, she looked up and her eyes sparkled.

"Mom, look. It is beautiful. It is in the budget. Can I try it on?"

Of course I said yes. It was beautiful and classy...just the way I like them. And pink. I love pink. Nothing says princess like pink and it was her favorite color as a toddler. She always grabbed pink things.

It just so happened, it was perfect. Her eyes lit up.

"I feel pretty, Mom."

Photo credit: JcPenny's..although this cutie patootie is adorable, this is not my child. 
"Good. And you don't need a date. You need to feel pretty and go have fun with your friends."

"Yeah. It's Ok. I will have fun. I will look pretty, don't you think?"

"Absolutely."

What more could a mom ask for than to see her daughter's eyes light up when she found the right dress. I do have a suggestion. I guess it was not a rhetorical question. Well, maybe one of these shops could serve the moms wine while they waited and watched the pile of no dresses accumulate until the yes dress was located. Just a thought.




2 comments:

  1. Momma Fargo:
    You do have a real car...good for you.
    I was thinking you still had the big old-gold pickup.
    (I did have a solution I was gonna run past 'ya, but I don't have to now)

    So, why do I feel a learning moment for the two of you?
    Seems you BOTH came away from this experience knowing more about yourselves and each other in the process.
    I think it's cool.
    (makes up for most of that drama, anyway, right?)

    Good post.

    Roll safe down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bug is beautiful, graceful and her heart is golden! Tell her I said so and it is TRUE! Love the pink dress, SHE will make it look gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete